Monday, December 17, 2012

Sci-Fi / Fantasy movies to look forward to in 2013!

The following are my must watch Sci-fi and Fantasy movies. If you know of any good ones I might have missed, please feel free to share in the comments! 
 
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
January 25th, 2013 





The first solid fantasy offering of the upcoming year should offer a fun popcorn flick to hold me over until the big boys come out later in the year! The classic tale with a horror twist is a promising genre of movies that took a tough hit with the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter film last year. Hopefully hunting witches will prove more entertaining. 


Jack the Giant Slayer
March 1st, 2013


If Hansel and Gretel proves to be entertaining, then I will be very excited to see this film. Unfair as it may be, I will have a hard time getting excited to see this though if H&G does not. The trailer looks awesome, and Ewan McGregor's witty dialogue in the trailer should prove amusing in a film that shouldn't take itself too seriously. People fighting giants sounds a bit like a medieval Troll Hunter's film with an actual budget. I'm alright with that!
 
Oblivion
April 19th, 2013


Based on the graphic novel of the same name, written by Joseph Kosinski comes this gorgeous piece of cinematography! I'll admit I know little of this film, but after watching the trailer, that's all I need. The lead character is a drone repairman on earth who discovers an escape pod with a woman inside. This woman opens up his eyes to a far wider vision of how his world really works. I'm thinking a government conspiracy on a desolate destroyed post apocalyptic earth with space crafts...YES!

Iron Man 3
May 3rd, 2013

 
There are no doubts this film will be a financial success! However, in my opinion, the Iron Man movies have been on the decline; Tony dancing and eating donuts just wasn't for me. I'm hoping after a strong performance in The Avengers that Stark will step up his game and deliver the best Iron Man movie yet. Also, with Guy Pearce attached as a bad guy, I expect us to see the best bad guy in the series to date!

Star Trek: Into Darkness
May 17th, 2013 


Star Trek is a franchise that I have never enjoyed. When they decided to reboot this series, I assumed this would remain the case. Thankfully, I gave the movie a shot and loved it! Into The Darkness looks to be even better, and with BBC Alum Benedict Cumberbatch added to the cast as our bad guy, I expect to be blown away by the next installment of this franchise. Heck, I may even dress up like all the other Treky's...

Epic
May 24th, 2013


Animated films are becoming some of the best films every year. It just wouldn't be right to make a list of fantasy films for the year and exclude Epic from it. After watching the trailer, it's hard not to make a connection to James Cameron's Avatar. This comparison is in no way a bad thing! This should be a family friendly film that the young and old will enjoy. I'll be dragging my 2 y/o nephew to the theater as an excuse to see this film.

After Earth
June 7th, 2013


Shyamalan, this is your last chance. If this film is bad then I am done, no matter how cool your name is! Will Smith and Jaden Smith star in this film about a father and son (sound familiar?) who crash land on a abandoned planet and must survive the dangerous wild until their rescue arrives. Simple plot, but why fix it if it's not broken?

Man of Steel
June 14th, 2013


We're all hoping they finally reboot Superman for good this time! Also, a bit of Nolan's gritty realism would be nice. If the posters and trailers are to be believed, they have heard our pleas and will deliver. I'll remain skeptical until I've seen the movie because Zack Snyder is very hit or miss, but my fingers are crossed! 

Pacific Rim
July 12th, 2013


Anime fans, this one might be a bit familiar for you. Giant aliens rise up from portals under the sea to conquer earth. We respond by using giant mecha soldiers to fight it out for the planet. Evangelion has taught me this is a very good thing. Also, Guermo Del Toro is the director, and I've been a big fan of his films ever since The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Lastly, this movie probably has the most badass poster I've seen since the Joker Dark Knight poster (pretty darn badass!).

Elysium
August 9th, 2013


This film is interesting because beneath the sci-fi action exterior is a story about people seeking equality. It's nice to see a movie not only develop action, but also some substance. Don't misinterpret this to mean the film will not be action packed; it will have lots of action! Matt Damon will prove he's still got his Bourne skills.

Ender's Game
November 1st, 2013
 
 
We'll be lucky enough to have Orson Scot Card in my city over February 22-24th, so hopefully I'll have some words from the man himself! But in the meantime, I'll just say "wow," After years of waiting, Hollywood is finally bringing us the literary adaptation that us fan boys and girls have been longing for! I dare not spoil a thing with a synopsis. Read and love the book to see for yourself! Ohh, and watch the movie too of course! 

Thor: The Dark World
November 8th, 2013 
 
 
Of all the Marvel individual ensemble films, Thor was the one I enjoyed the most. I also believe Thor is the one with the most room for improvement. The first film was a very contained origin film. The second has a world of options, heck multiple worlds of options! I hope to see some more of my favorite Norse viking kicking butt and taking names. Also, I wouldn't mind a Loki team up for the final fight. Loki has a lot of marketability, and this could be their chance to humanize him and bring him to the light side! 

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
December 13th, 2013


Need I say anything? The second of three installments of Peter Jackson's epic Hobbit trilogy. The first film was gorgeous, and I suspect more of the same from this one; with one big difference, more Smaug! The big negative for this film is that, like the predecessor, the film is stretched a bit thin over the long run time. But for a die-hard Tolkien fan like myself, I wouldn't miss this movie for the world! 

The Prototype
Unknown Date, 2013


This title is by far my most anticipated on this list! I've got a thing for the underdog, and this one certainly fits the bill with it's budget coming in under 40mil. it will be one of the lower budget offerings in this batch of movies. The plot revolves around a thesis by Dr. Maxwell about how machines are the next step of mankinds evolution. Little does he know, he is the prototype for this evolution. On the run from the military that wishes to detain him, he struggles with his new state. I suspect there will be a philosophical undertone in there about the line between machine and man that people like myself love to reflect on.
 
Honorary Mentions
The Host
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
The Wolverine
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment